Sweet-and-Sour Pork Skewers with Pineapple
It’s the perfect evening to fire up the barbecue—but wait, put down those hamburger patties. Try this fun new recipe for sweet-and-sour pork skewers instead. They’re quick and easy, and they’ll take your cookout to the next level. No chopsticks required.
½ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon sriracha
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1½ pounds pork tenderloin, cut into cubes
1 pineapple—peeled, cored and cubed
Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1. MAKE THE SWEET-AND-SOUR SAUCE: In a small pot, combine the pineapple juice with the rice vinegar, ketchup, sriracha, soy sauce and garlic. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar with the cornstarch to combine. Add the sugar mixture to the pot and whisk well.
3. Simmer until the sauce thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
4. MAKE THE SKEWERS: Arrange the pork and pineapple on the skewers, alternating between the two. Repeat until all the skewers are assembled.
5. Brush the skewers with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook on a preheated grill or grill pan until nicely charred on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
6. While the skewers are still hot, brush generously with the sweet-and-sour sauce. Garnish with scallions and serve.