CATEGORY: PASTA & RICE DISHES
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® ground beef
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- Optional: 1 head butter lettuce, separated into leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine beef, curry powder, 1-teaspoon salt, pepper, allspice and cayenne. Mix thoroughly.
- In a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown, breaking into small pieces, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and drain excess oil, leaving about 1-teaspoon in the pan. Stir in onion and garlic, sauté over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Stir in thyme, rice and remaining 1-teaspoon salt; sauté 2 minutes to toast rice. Return beef to pan and stir in water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover with lid. Simmer 20 minutes, remove from heat and leave covered 5 minutes.
- Uncover, and allow to sit another 5 minutes; fluff rice with fork. Serve with lettuce.