Serve this seasoned beef patty over rice and top with gravy and a fried egg. Loco Moco is pure comfort food, and considered a new Hawaiian classic.
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® = Certified Angus Beef ® ground beef, 80% lean
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 3 scallions, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl; combine ground beef, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, 1-teaspoon salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Mix by hand and form into four patties; refrigerate.
- Prepare rice according to package directions, keep warm.
- Preheat a 12” cast iron skillet over medium high-heat and add 1-teaspoon oil. Sear patties 3 to 4 minutes per side; remove from pan. Using a paper towel, wipe any excess oil and cooked bits from pan.
- Add remaining 2-teaspoons oil to the hot pan, sear mushrooms 4 minutes, season with 1- teaspoon salt. Stir in stock and soy sauce; bring to a boil.
- In a bowl or small pitcher combine 3-tablespoons cold water with corn starch, stir into mushrooms. Bring back to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer. Add beef patties to gravy, simmer until patties reach an internal temperature of 160°F.
- While patties simmer, melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Crack each egg into pan as you would for fried eggs, season with remaining 1/2-teaspoon salt, sear 2 minutes, cover pan to cook whites through, one minute.
- Divide rice among four plates, top with beef patties, gravy, fried egg and scallion.